Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Over Doing It All

I have the tendency to over do most things- I will over do what really needs to be done for a party or event and often will do it all by myself because I know exactly what I want and I am the only one who can do it! I over do and over extend myself way more often than not. I have been known, mostly by the waistband of my pants and skirts, to over do the food at a party or holiday event. Thanksgiving is one of the holidays that provide me the opportunity to eat way more than I need to at one sitting. Then there is the overdoing it on shopping. I am a recovering shopaholic. I used to shop til I dropped - not kidding. I would shop the before Christmas sales, the after Christmas sales and the Christmas in July sales. I love shopping but there are consequences to pay, literally with all the shopping. Luckily, I have not found myself in dire physical or fiscal problems yet, but that is only because of God's protection and provision. Lysa TerKeurst is one of my absolutely favorite people. No, I have yet to meet her, but she knows me so well because she writes books and blogs that are specifically for me. Her newest book is to be released in January. I am so excited. It gives me something to look forward to when I get to Ohio and slow down to digest everything. While this book is primarily focused on overdoing it with food, I am confident the principles could be applied toward money, relationships with others, technology,etc. Anything that replaces God as your comfort, provider, or focus on life and worship. I do need to lose some 40 pounds. With this book and the opportunity to exercise at a supposedly great Fitness Center in Ohio, I will do it with God's help. But I also know that shopping is a temptation for comfort. It gives me a sense of empowerment. I am looking forward to applying the principles to my wallet as well. Now the other thing that is brought to my mind as I have been looking forward to this book is this. I am known for overdoing it with lots of things in my life- But do I over do it with my relationship with God? Do I over do it with reading and meditating on God's Word? Do over do it with prayer? Serving? Giving to others? What is that God has designed me to Crave? Cheesecake? A new pair of boots? Or is it time with Him- sitting still and listening to Him as He provides Comfort and Direction for my life?
I believe I was made to crave more than amaretto cheesecake and new leather boots. I was made to crave a relationship with my Lord and Savior. Happy Thanksgiving, Ya'll! Enjoy the cheesecake and enjoy the preChristmas sales, but mostly enjoy some time with the people you love and with The Giver and Creator of All!

No comments:

Post a Comment