Thursday, September 12, 2013

SLOW.... STILL....DO WITH GOD

SLOW. STILL. DO WITH GOD.As the last school year ended, I recognized that I need to stay active with my kiddos' schools and stay involved in the parent volunteer groups. That is me- a mom, a teacher at heart, and a servant to the teachers, kids and other parents in my family's life. More importantly, I recognized that my first and most ministry is right within my four walls, behind my front door- my husband and two sweet priority blessings. I confess all that because last year, I was scrambling to keep up with laundry and other house hold chores plus meal planning and cooking. It often all got behind and I resorted to fast food or expensive deli food all to often. Too often it was a "Hurry Up or Else" atmosphere and I well know that hurry hurts those hearts I cherish. Mom was sporting some major Mama Drama and it wasn't very pretty at times. With all of the stuff I was scheduling for me and it was good stuff to help my kids and their school, I lost track of what I should be focused on most of my time- my family and home's upkeep and edification, keeping myself in good condition physically, spiritually and creatively, plus have that time of service and involvement. I think that when I can get a good rhythm of all of this, I can handle the surprise attacks by Satan when they come with more strength and wisdom, clearer thinking and focus on God's provision and power. I have access to lots of blogs, Pintrests and resources that tell me how to be a good mom, wife, meal plan, exercise, spend time daily with God in scripture. I have the knowledge and encouragement in my inbox. What I need is the resolution to SLOW. Be STILL and then DO WITH GOD. I need to slow down, be still and ask God if this is what I should be doing. If so, then do it with His help for His Glory. So my first step has been to be very careful in saying "Yes" to anything. I resisted the urge to sign up for more than two parties/activities for each kiddo's class during Open House. I have taken on a leadership role in one of the school's PTO board but have not jumped in to chair any events. Although I know that I will be very active on at least two of the events toward the end of the year, but those events are a multi-school events and lots of the planning and implementation is shared- work but not too bad. I feel good about what I have committed my energies, brain power and time to so far. I have reached out to the three teachers my kids have and offered my time to help them. I think this is very important since they spend so much time, energy and work with my kids. I need to use my teacher and mommy talents to help these ladies be successful and to directly help the kids, especially mine. This time will be sporadic but is the most important volunteer time I can give. The next step is spending time daily in reading scripture, memorization and lots of prayer. One day a week, I have planned to do a Beth Moore study of Paul with a group of ladies at another local church. I look forward to the time with other Jesus girls, Beth's southern accent (miss hearing that) and the challenge she gives me in her studies. I have become a student of prayer- specifically praying scripture in the last year. Praying is something I find that I do throughout my day. Little thoughts and prayers of thankfulness and petitions as I unload the dishwasher, fold laundry, drive to the grocery, wake up in the middle of the night, as the last bus pulls away... Just small prayers in the day. I am not always great about getting up early to set my day right before the rest rise, I am working on that part of my day. But I am consciously and intently ensuring that I have time to STOP. STILL and DO WITH GOD. Next step is the home front. Getting the chores and meals in control...Organizing my menus and making delicious and nutritious meals is important. I have SO.Many.Recipes. all good but narrowing it down to the doable and to what my family will eat- (one doesn't do tomatoes or a lot of meat). Again, well-equipped with information. Chores and schedules are also a challenge. We are getting there now that school is getting fully underway and routines of homework and soccer practice, violin and piano practice are coming together along with my limited commitments in the day. I have figured out that the earlier I get my chores accomplished the better. Going back to a daily chore list and working on eliminating clutter in small increments is my challenge for each week. Finally, scheduling time for me to do the things that focus on what I need physically and getting my creative juices flowing again. It is all about the scheduling. I must intentionally carve out a chunk of time each day to allow myself to take care of my body. I need to make certain that as I get settled into middle age that I move more. My body needs good food and good movement. I know that my sleepy and sluggish moods will get better. I will feel more energized to get the chores done, get food prepared, stay awake and more alert during my time with God reading and praying, I will sleep better at night, wake earlier and more rested and ready for what the day brings, happier, less Mama Drama, more relaxed and slower, intentional, present with my kiddos and husband. I need to exercise. I need to take time to take care of this one body I have been given. I need to take a little time each day to care for it so it doesn't wear out before time and age take its natural toll. I also have committed to working on a true hobby, scrapbooking. Yep, I am one of those girls. I even still want to complete albums the old-fashioned way, by hand with stickers, die cuts, and paper cutting. My kids have great adventures to remember and I NEED to do this for them and for me. So while I take time to commit in writing my plans for this school year, I am actively pursuing and implementing plans to accomplish this SLOW, STILL and DO WITH GOD plan. One thing I am going to participate in is the PEAK 313 FITNESS "LIVING and ACTIVE CHALLENGE". http://peak313.com/featured/the-2nd-annual-living-and-active-challenge/ When I moved to Ohio, God provided me with a new group of bloggy mommas to encourage me- All from Ohio! Yep, keeping my Southern Girls in the inbox, but it is nice to know that just 30 minutes to 3 hours away are some mommas of like-mind to encourage me, give me great recipes, and often a reminder to "put on my big girl panties" and just get over it. Okay, the last saying is from my Southern Jesus girls, but the Ohio girls can say it in other words. I love that God has provided encouragement and help. Clare is my daughter's hero, because she know Candace Cameron-Bure! Oh, yes!! Full House fans here! But I think Clare is amazing because she seems to have a healthy balance in exercising, eating right, and family time all wrapped up in God's guidance and wisdom. I would love to join her Pilates classes sometime. I miss Pilates! But for now, I am going to schedule in at least 25 minutes a day - aiming for 5 days a week, but the challenge is for 4- to exercise, get moving! Her devotional thoughts are an added bonus! So "putting on my big girl panties", and strapping on the tennis shoes. Going to enjoy the cooler temperatures here in Northeast Ohio, spend some time moving with a friend two days a week and the other days moving with God as my walking partner- we have lots to talk about. Other days and times I would like to add in a Pilates video, although it is not the same as a group class. SIGH- would love to join Clare sometime.... and then her fitness challenges and routines are a definite must try. A great plan- now with God's help as I SLOW and STILL, I will be able to DO WITH GOD and might I add FOR HIM.

No comments:

Post a Comment